Event: American Art Exhibitions
Location: Various venues
Art from the Americas is taking London by storm this year, with exhibitions of some great artists from the 19th century to the present day.
From 19th century landscape artist Frederic Church (America’s Turner) at the National Gallery, which is showing 25 of his oil sketches; a major retrospective of pop artist Roy Lichtenstein at the Tate Modern (both starting in February); to early 20th century realist artist George Bellows of the Ashcan School, at the Royal Academy (from March). Also at the Royal Academy (from July) an exhibition of Mexican art between 1910-1940; and later in the year Dulwich Picture Gallery is showing views of Thames by19th century artist James McNeill Whistler (from October).
Others shows include contemporary artist Bruce Nauman at Hauser & Wirth, portraits by Man Ray at the National Portrait Gallery, and Brazilian artist Mira Schendel at the Tate Modern. Details of exhibitions as follows:
- Fred Sandback at David Zwirner, W1 (until 16 Feb)
- Dan Witz at Lazarides, W1 (until 23 Feb)
- Bruce Nauman at Hauser & Wirth, W1 (until 9 Mar)
- Eva Hesse at Hauser & Wirth, W1 (until 9 Mar)
- Mark Boulos at Lisson Gallery, NW1 (until 9 Mar)
- Richard Prince at Sadie Coles, W1
- A Bigger Splash features pictures by Jackson Pollock, Cindy Sherman and others – at the Tate Modern, SE1 (until 1 Apr)
- Thomas Joshua Cooper at Haunch of Venison, W1 (1 Feb-28 Mar)
- Frederic Church: Through American Eyes at the National Gallery, WC2 (6 Feb-28 Apr)
- Man Ray at the National Portrait Gallery, WC2 (7 Feb-27 May)
- José Parlá at Haunch of Venison, W1 (8 Feb-28 Mar)
- Robert Rauschenberg at the Gagosian Britannia Street, WC1 (16 Feb-28 Mar)
- Roy Lichtenstein at the Tate Modern, SE1 (21 Feb-27 May)
- George Bellows: Modern American Life at the Royal Academy, W1 (16 Mar-9 Jun)
- Marcel Dzama at David Zwirner, W1 (6 Apr-11 May)
- Ellen Gallagher at the Tate Modern, SE1 (1 May-1 Sep)
- Mexico: A Revolution in Art at the Royal Academy, W1 (6 Jul-29 Sep)
- Mira Schendel at the Tate Modern, SE1 (26 Sep-19 Jan 2014)
- Whistler in London at Dulwich Picture Gallery, SE21 (16 Oct-12 Jan 2014).