Event: New West End Musicals 2013
Location: Various venues
2013 has a host of new musicals opening in the West End, from the much talked about The Book of Mormon to the new Tim Rice production, From Here to Eternity. Here is a roundup:
The US import, The Book of Mormon, which opened to much fanfare in February, is a comedy musical about a pair of teenage Mormon missionaries sent to convert a village in Uganda. The musical sold out a year in advance in the States and won nine Tony awards.
Another American musical, A Chorus Line, in its first London revival since it premiered here in 1976, is directed by the show’s original co-choreographer. The show, about dancers auditioning for a Broadway production, was the longest-running musical in New York history.
Once, also transferring from Broadway, is a new musical (opening in April), based on the film about a struggling busker who falls for a Czech immigrant in Dublin. The musical won 12 Tony awards in 2012.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory based on the Roald Dahl book and directed by Skyfall director Sam Mendes, is bound to appeal to kids. It has its world premiere in June.
Playing throughout the summer is a revival of the Rodgers and Hammerstein favourite The Sound of Music at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, opening in July.
And opening in October the new Tim Rice musical of From Here to Eternity about World War II American servicemen in Hawaii (based on a book and famously made into a film starring Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr in the 1950s).
- The Book of Mormon is at the Prince of Wales Theatre, W1, booking until 14 Dec 2013.
- A Chorus Line is at the London Palladium, W1, booking until 18 Jan 2014.
- Once is at the Phoenix Theatre, WC2, booking until 30 Nov 2013.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is at Theatre Royal Drury Lane, WC2, previews from 17 May, booking until 30 Nov 2013.
- The Sound of Music is at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, NW1, from 25 Jul to 7 Sep 2013.
- From Here to Eternity is at the Shaftesbury Theatre, WC2, previews from 30 Sep, opening on 23 Oct 2013.